Friday, January 4, 2013

Sociological Imagination

Too often, does an event occur, such as job loss, divorce, retirement, and one’s individualistic explanation is to go through agony, because they feel as though they have done something wrong for this event to occur. However, most do not understand the sociological imagination. They don’t have the ability to see the impact of social forces in our private lives. This is why I've taken events that occurred when I was twelve years old, the year of 2004, and demonstrate how those events impacted my life and the person I am today.

The U.S. economy registered stronger than expected growth in the year 2004. The growth rate grew to 4.4 percent, the best in five years. The U.S. economy was expanding at a 3.8 percent annual rate. The average Cost of new house $274,500.00 and the average median income was $45,817.00 Gas prices grew to a little over $2.00 at this time and the economy was in a good swing (Voice of America). When I was younger I had always lived in an apartment with my mother and father. In 2004, my family decided to move into a house. The growing economy, most definitely, impacted their decision for the move. When moving into this house, I also moved into a new school system. With this move I gained new best friends, and eventually a boyfriend. I would not have these relationships that are so vital in my life without the move, and without the economy growth in 2004.

In 2004, one of the most tragic events occurred. It was the earthquake that generated the great Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004. It is estimated to have released the energy of 23,000 Hiroshima-type atomic bombs. By the end of the day more than 150,000 people were dead or missing and millions more were homeless in 11 countries, making it perhaps the most destructive tsunami in history (National Geographic). I remember learning about the tsunami in class. We learned about all the catastrophic outcomes of the tsunami. We had food and clothing fundraisers. I became very dedicated to these events, and contributing to this tragic event that took place in 2004, led me to volunteer in many other ways. I now volunteer at hand in hand at Hamline University. I also am more heavily involved in a group called FOCUS, which is a food and clothing shelf located in St. Paul. The 2004 Tsunami opened my eyes on how important it is to help the less fortunate. Giving back to one cause started a chain of me giving back to multiple causes.

In 2004, George W. Bush was re-elected as the United States President. Under the Bush presidency many things occurred, because of this re-election in 2004. Bush signed the No Child Left Behind Act, The Clear Skies Act, supported a constitutional amendment that defined marriage as strictly heterosexual. However, the choice that impacted my life the most was his decision to continue the war in Iraq and U.S. military presence in Afghanistan. One of my good friend’s dad was killed in the Iraq war. As well as, many other American fathers, brothers, sisters, mothers, and friends. Now I know that this did not directly affect me. However, it’s an important issue that happened in 2004. Seeing my good friend crumble over the loss of her father changed my view on the Iraq War and led me to finally understand the outcomes it has. 

Sources: "US Economy in 2004 Registers Highest Growth in Five Years." VOA. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Jan. 2013.
"The Deadliest Tsunami in History?" National Geographic. National Geographic Society, n.d. Web. 04 Jan. 2013.

4 comments:

  1. Well done. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya,
    I really enjoyed your blog, especially your section on the 2004 Tsunami. I think that events such as these cause people to stop and think about what is truly important in life and can spark a motivation to help others in need which can last a lifetime. After the Tsunami, my parents were very close to adopting a child who had lost their family due to the tragedy. It did not end up working out, but if it had my life would have changed in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post! You related it to your personal life which was very interesting to see. My favorite part of this post was seeing that a dramatic event that didn't even directly impact your family, made you want to volunteer more. I think you are a really good example of helping people in need. I wish you would have expanded a little more on the Iraq war and how it still affects us today (the economy, voting preference and elections, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya,

    Excellent post! Not only did I get a really good understand of historical events that happened when you were twelve, but you were able to connect them to your life at the age of twelve and all the way to the present time. I can relate to the gas prices too! Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts!

    -Tania

    ReplyDelete