Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cultural Norms


            When living in the United States, I think it's easy to forget that we live by a certain culture. This culture we live by is determined by that society we live in. It connects members of society with a common bond, and constructs cultural norms that the society adapts into their everyday lives. These norms are the rules and standards that govern all social encounters. For example, in the United States we extend a handshake when being introduced. However, a different culture may find that interaction offensive. This is why, sharing cultural knowledge, is necessary to understanding and effectively communicating with another. What would happen if someone disobeyed the rules of society and stepped out of the a cultural norm? I ventured to Rosedale Mall to find out.

              Once there I decided to grab my usual chai late from Caribou coffee. Instead of continuing walking around the mall with my drink. I decided to sit down at one of the tables. There were many seats and tables that were available, but instead of choosing a spot far away from the multiple strangers enjoying their coffee. I decided to sit next to one of them. I believe, that one of are cultural norms is to let strangers be, or let them have their own personal space. It's very uncommon for someone to willingly sit next to a stranger when there are open chairs. I decided to first ask the middle aged woman reading her book if this chair seated at her table was taken. This is common courtesy in the U.S. to ask for the chair, but when she said no, instead of moving that chair to another table. I sat down next to her. She lifted her wide eyed head out of her book and replied "Hi, may I help you?" I casually replied  no and continued to stare at the woman, while drinking my coffee. She put her head back into the book, crossed her legs and continued to read. I'm sure the woman felt as equally uncomfortable as I did, but we each continued to sit, and after a about five minutes the woman left. As she smiled when exiting taking her unfinished drink and book with her. This woman was obviously shocked by my intrusion, so much so that she felt the need to leave. 


             What I did was by no means a mores, but rather, a small disregard for a institutionalized norm. This lady was very kind, but I have a feeling others could have been very rude, because of my small intrusion. Imagine if I broke a cultural norm during a meeting, and instead of wearing a business suite. I wear my swimsuit. That could have major consequences, such as losing your job. This is why it's vital to have a certain grasp of cultural knowledge to understand and effectively communicate with members of a society.



           

4 comments:

  1. Tanya,
    Great blog! I think another cultural norm this woman displayed was the politeness of casually sitting a few minutes before leaving,instead of showing you she felt uncomfortable and getting up immediately. I think I would have done the same thing in that situation. It is Minnesota nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this entry! You had a lot of guts doing that. I think you displayed a clear understanding of cultural norms and you analyzed your situation well! Plus, you made me want a chai latte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya,

    Wow I can't believe you did that! That is awesome! I'm sure she felt so awkward, but this is a great test of cultural norms. As Kaylah said too, now I want a chai tea latte.

    Keep up the great posts!

    -Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work and, yes, courageous. ;-)

    Re: "What I did was by no means a mores..." I'm not sure if you are referring to mores (plural), but see the following: "Mores (pronounced MORE-ayz) are norms, sometimes codified into laws, that are taken very seriously by society."

    Thus you don't really "do" a more; they are themselves one type of norm that we follow, or not.

    ReplyDelete