Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Socialization


       When I was reading through Chapter 5. I became very uncomfortable and worried about the definition that was given to us for Socialization. "Socialization is the process through which one learns how to act according to the rules and expectations of a particular culture" (Newman, 137). When reading this definition I pictured society almost as zombies, or a group of robots. Everyone attempting to be like everyone else. I imagined no unique, or original qualities to any specific people, but once reading further into the chapter. I realized that there are more aspects that go into socialization than I thought.

         Socialization is the process by which  individuals learn their culture and learn to live according to the norms of a particular society. We learn how to perceive our world through the process of socialization. Socialization teaches us how to interact effectively within a society and it tells us what to do when in particular social situations. It doesn't teach us that we have to be exactly like everyone else, or mindless robots. It teaches us a form of ediquette to everyday human life. It teaches us the rules that a society follows. We learn the social expectations that come with our social class, racial or ethnic group, and gender through socialization, and we have to continue learning this process of socialization throughout our lives. Each time someone abandons a social class, or career they must continue going through socialization to learn a new social role.

          We start the process of socialization at the very beginning stages of our life. When little girls begin to wear pink and play with dolls, while little boys start playing with action figures. The most important role of socialization is that it develops a sense of self for others. Through socialization, we begin to recognize ourselves as unique individuals. We start acknowledging who we are through another's perspective. There are many social institutions, called agents of socialization, who attribute to the socialization process. First, of course there is family. Then we begin to develope our self through education. Finally, there are religious institutions, and social media that takes a part in attributing to a persons sense of self.
           I grew up as an only child. Growing up, I only had one parent. It was just my mom and I who lived togeher. She had me attend church school, and she put a deep emphasis of religion in my life. I lived in a small suburb and went to Mounds View High School. Where nothing very exciting or dramatic happened. However, I met my best friend in this suburb, who now attends Hamline University with me. All of these events in my life contributed to my process of socialization. These aspects in my life shape how I view myself according to how others perceive me. In other words, If I was adopted, or grew up with my father instead of my mother. I would change. If I was an atheist, and went to a different school. I would have a completely different perspective of the person that I am today. This is why socialization is vital in everyday life.
            After exploring more into the process of Socialization. I realized I had a completely opposite and incorrect perspective of it. Socialization doesn't make every individual exactly the same. It contributes to every individual being unique.

Source: Newman, David M. Sociology: Exploring the Architecture of Everyday Life : Readings. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2006. Print.





4 comments:

  1. Great entry! I am glad that you learned more about it through reading. Sometimes sociology definitions are brief and require more reading. I would agree with you that the way we grow up affects the person we are and the beliefs we have. I did my blog entry about social institutions so I think you and I had somewhat similar entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya,

    I really enjoyed how you shared your thought process and how you came to your final conclusion about socialization. Very well written! When reading this chapter I also thought about how one different decision made early on could completely change the person I am today and the life I live. That makes me think that the phrase "everything happens for a reason" has some truth to it.

    -Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mention one of the challenges for many sociology students; students often hear about the way society shapes/influences us and forget a) about the way we shape/influence society (which is, after all, composed of 'us') and b) that being influenced doesn't mean we lack free will. Kudos for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya,
    Great job on your post. It is interesting to think about how ones life would be different granted different different circumstances. Even small decisions can impact the direction your life can go. Good job using examples from your own life!

    ReplyDelete